Trinity Church is a church of Episcopal confession located at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway in southern Manhattan, New York.
In 1696, the city governor, Benjamin Fletcher, approved the acquisition of land for the Anglican community for the construction of a new church. The land grant specified a small annual rent that was due to the Crown of England.
The present Trinity Church is the work of the American architect Richard Upjohn, who designed it in the neo-Gothic style. It is part of the National Historic Landmark, not only because of its architecture, but also because of its role in the history of the city. At the time of the church’s consecration on May 1, 1846 (Ascension Day), its Neo-Gothic-inspired point, surmounted by a golden cross, dominated the skyline of southern Manhattan. Trinity Church was then a beacon of welcome for ships arriving in port.
Even with the construction of numerous skyscrapers around the church, Trinity Church has retained very important spiritual values in the heart of Manhattan, and always serves as a place of worship and meditation for Christians.