Untermyer Park and Gardens is a historic 43-acre city public park located in Yonkers, New York, in Westchester County, just north of New York City. The park is a remnant of Samuel J. Untermyer’s 150-acre “Greystone” estate. Located on the rugged terrain rising from the eastern bank of the Hudson River to the cliff top, the park features a Walled Garden inspired by the ancient Indo-Persian gardens, a small open-air Greek-style amphitheater with two sphinxes facing each other supported by high Ionic columns, a classical pavilion, bench and loggias, a rock and water feature called “The Temple of Love”, as well as a long staircase from the Walled Garden to a lookout point overlooking the river and palisades.
The gardens were developed from 1916 by Untermyer, a prominent lawyer and civic leader, and were designed by architect and landscape architect William W. Bosworth, with fountains by Charles Wellford Leavitt and sculptures by Paul Manship and other artists. The gardens opened regularly to the public, hosted performances by prominent dancers, actors and musicians, and were considered one of the finest gardens in the United States.
When Untermyer died in 1940, he hoped to donate the entire estate to the United States, or to the State of New York, or at least to the city of Yonkers. Finally, Yonkers agreed to accept part of the property. The parcel, which was the core of the gardens, and which has since been added, was renamed Untermyer Park and Gardens in his honor. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Untermyer Gardens has recently undergone a major restoration campaign, which continues.